Sunday, December 28, 2008

Things About Me

that you may not know...

I always fall asleep on my right side. Even when I was pregnant and they tell you to sleep on your left side, I, ever the rebel, slept on my right side. But if I have to get up, or am stirred in any way, I have to change sides. And then if I have to get up or reach for something or whatever, I have to change sides again. I can NOT lay on the same side for 2 lay-downs in a row. I have no idea why but it sucks. Cuz I can get all comfy and cozy in one position and then have to get up and not be able to go back to that same position.

I have red hair because I started dying my hair to match my personality. I have been red since I graduated from high school and I've never looked back. I'm pretty sure God meant to make me a redhead. But I believe that out there somewhere is some calm, reserved, rule-loving redhead that should have been a blonde gemini, but she cut in line with the aquarius redheads and stole my hair color. Perhaps the idea that she cut in line sort of contradicts my theory. What a minute...whose blog is this anyway?!?! damn my tangents.

I love animals. In another life, I may have been, or may yet be, a Green Peace nut, or even a PETA person. In this life, I'm not that far to the left. But if bumper stickers didn't bother me so much, I probably would have a "save the whales" sticker. And I'm still considering boycotting KFC forever but I've not reached a consensus with my other personalities on that one yet...

I hate shoes and I love purses. I wear flip flops all year long and my purse is big enough to hold my baby.

There is art on almost every wall of my house that has a space. It is the first thing I do when I move into a new space, and the thing I love most when I redecorate a space. I love art. I can't make it, but I sure do appreciate it. I have a set of 3 tulips in reds and oranges on stretched canvas on the wall I am facing, a photo of an orange sunset over my fireplace (just an ordinary print in an ordinary frame. But the frame does have a story: when we moved in here, I needed a long skinny horizontal piece for over the mantle. It was the first thing I did in this house. I had an angel theme at the time and I found for like $8, a mythological themed print with cherubs tending to eros or ...hell Idanno. It had a woman's bare breast and some people did double takes. After my $8 print was framed and matted and whatnot, it was $150 piece of art. My theme changed so my sunset is sitting on top of my bare breasted mythological woman. damn my stories are long). In my dining room there is "ullswater" (also a sunset), a photograph, and an I-forget-the-name sunrise over rowboats painting (looked it up: "Pier at sunrise" by salvador caballero). And some artwork my little friend Noah K. did when he was like oh...4....of my dogs and cat in watercolor. In my bathroom is gustav klimt's "three ages of woman". In the hallway outside my bathroom is O'Keefe's "red cannas". In the bedroom I have some cheri blum-esque narcissus-esque and some lilac print. And another Kimt: "the Kiss".
In Amanda's room I have this one

and because it was bugging me, the aforementioned possibly Eros print is this one: The Awakening of Adonis by Waterhouse

I also love photography. As I get older, I am inclined to get back into it. I was never "good" at it, per se, and never had good equipment. But I have the eye. I've had no time to mess with it in the last few years but I want to. I especially love black and whites. Who doesn't love a black and white landscape, right? but I also love candid people shots in b&w. Maybe because I myself and the worlds worst candid subject...so I admire the beauty of true moments captured on film (my own true moments are always rather contorted!).

Enough about art

I wear totally mismatched pajamas. Tonight, for instance: brick red sweater-pants, a turquoise t shirt and an aqua sweater. In fact they are complimentary colors, but that's mostly an accident. I grab what's in the basket and put it on.

I take alot of baths.

I drink tea. And recently...with milk! how freakin' civilized huh? I love it!

My house, apart from being artful, is messy. My living room looks like a daycare center. But somehow it is not enough to entertain either of my extremely high-energy prodigies.

I love smells. If I smell Ban deoderant, I am immediately transported to my 13 year old self on a business trip in Hawaii with my parents. I am intoxicated by the smell of orange blossoms in spring.

I love decorating. I don't claim to be that fantastic at it, but I love doing it. I wish I had endless amounts of money to do nothing but make my nest pretty.

I fall down alot.

I love the colors red, purple, and green. I think red is in every room of my house somehow. Purple is in many. Orange has snuck its way in recently...that rogue non-rhyming rebel of a color!

I love poetry. ee cummings is my favorite for the last several years.

I watch too much TV.

I'm a choreographer (read: used to be a dancer but my ideas are so grandiose that even my former dancer self would not have been able to do most of them, so I find willing victims to impose my ideas upon and we create art together).
I have found recently that my choreography/teaching style is very much like directing. I can not create a dance without a story. This evolved several years ago and is an absolute necessity for my creative process now. I need a story. So I give my dancers characters, and stories and relationships.
I would love to be a movie director. I am fascinated...since I was a child...with the hows and whys of theater, TV, movies. I want to know - where did that lighting come from? How'd they do that? Was that an accident or the first take? Was that improvised? Was that sound dubbed back in? How did the actress summon tears?
Where is that filmed? What kind of cues is the stage manager calling during Les Miserables?
I work backstage at our dance recital sometimes as the stage manager and I love it. So much more, actually, than being in the spotlight at all.
So I want to be a director when I grow up.

I love water. I find myself pretty much in discord to some extent when I am not near water. When I am at the beach, suddenly my soul synchronizes with the universe and all is right. Why I am not there, I cant' really answer except to say that all members of my immediate family are trapped here in this town and none have successfully escaped. Somehow the family values of this damn desert seem to keep us here. Perhaps this is why I take so many baths...??

I love to feed ducks, and give homeless men sandwiches, and listen to my 1 year old daughter sing when she eats.

I can, now that I'm a mom, handle vomit, poop, clogged drains to some extent, all manner of bodily functions but I can not stand handling dirty dishes...especially is food-y water and the silverware most of all.

I almost gave birth to my daughter in the car, and the lobby of the hospital. We aren't having any more but I seriously wonder how fast it would come if we did!

I wish I could garden.

I have insomnia. I haven't slept properly since 2002.

I cried last time I took my son to the circus. No, it wasn't my phobia of clowns (consider that an entry). It was the overwhelming childhood magic. I don't know how else to describe it.

I love to cook. and bake. decorating cupcakes is so zen to me. I do it just for fun - not even because I want to eat them. And I love to try to reproduce sauces that I've tasted. I guess that makes me a "saucier". That also would make sense as to why I am obsessed with finding the perfect mac n cheese. and it goes with my saucy personality. doh.

I don't like groups of people. Not like agorophobia and fear of malls and whatnot. I just don't like being in a large group. I get really icky in my skin. I am much more inclined to open up and be happy and comfortable in a one-on-one situation, or a very small group of intimates. I do like large groups when I am in charge of them (the recital, for instance), but that is a rare treat. lol

I think birthdays are a big deal. I like to stretch the celebration of them out for about a week.

I want to go sky diving. When my son, just 5, discovered that such a thing existed recently, he said he wanted to go. I said I did too. So when he turns 18, if I can still walk and get in a plane, he and I will go together!

off to take my bath and go to bed too late now. ta-ta!!

3 comments:

  1. Wow. Great update. I'm trying to melt together what I knew of you and what I now know of you and...
    ...I like you so much!!

    You very funny girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was great. I can hear you talking. You haven't changed much...you are still that mysterious girl I always admired from a distance...then became friends with...then lost touch with....then found you again. Glad to know you!!

    ReplyDelete