Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Mentally Orgasmic Day

Well the title may be somewhat misleading. But oh, the times do change. I had the most glorious day today and it had nothing to do with sex or orgasms.
I took the day off to get Cliff registered for Kindergarten. That really isn't that big a deal but I had to shuffle myself and some papers between one school and another and gather all my paperwork (birth certificate etc) because I am trying to get him into this school downtown near our jobs (its a commuter school specifically for downtown job folks) and it requires and inter district transfer etc. Then its a lottery to see if he can even get in. But that part is in March. So anyway, I did some of the paperwork shuffling. But I also had to take Mandy to her 12 month appointment this morning so that alone would have eaten up a good portion of my day. Hence my day off. So it was a lovely mental health day I have to say. After my doctor's appointment with Mandy, at which she received her MMR and the wonderful (not sarcastic) doctor really annoyed me with her condescending nonsense (condescension is my #1 pet peeve. its an issue. ) I dropped her back at daycare and picked up my mom for lunch. She had jury duty and she has a bad foot so the long walk to the juror parking lot would have been a bit much. Besides which it was a nice opportunity to hang out with my mom. She lives next door but we never get anytime to ourselves. I can never finish a thought without telling Cliff to get off the ceiling fan or pulling Amanda out of the garbage can. So we had lunch and she brought a juror friend.
Then I came home. It seemed like it would be 4pm because of all the running around I had been doing but I looked at the clock and it was only 1! wow.
So I did something really fantastic. I sat in the chair and did absolutely nothing for several minutes. I actually was able to form several complete thoughts!! I almost forgot what that felt like!! I turned on the TV to catch up on my soaps while I checked my work email (because I work even when I'm off. ugh) and fired off a few things.
I read a couple blogs. I followed up on a couple purchases. My favorite pair of shoes broke. So I ordered a new pair. Two pair actually in 2 colors. And I used a gift certificate and got both with free overnight shipping for $14.25. shyeah!
I had the front and back doors open because it was a magnificent spring-like day and the temps were probably pushing 70 and there was a lovely breeze. My dog Mona hung out by my feet and we just chilled. I drank a soda. I had more complete thoughts. I listened to the sound of my own breathing. I listened to the sounds of my house. It was beautiful. The things that make me feel peaceful are so simple. Especially now that I'm a mother of 2. And the last week with Amanda really kicked my ass. So this was very needed.

So then I gathered some stuff up. I made a grocery list. I did a load of laundry (not that I'm caught up or anything). I gave the dogs a big block of ice to play with in their water dish.

Then I went to the store. First I went to McDonald's and got an iced tea. (I drink iced tea like a fish drinks water. and I do realize that's a flawed simile because fish don't really drink water but I'm making a point here) Then I very leisurely parked and sauntered in. "It is a great art to saunter". Thoreau said it. I shopped without any "I wants" or "can I have"s or whining or squirming or trying to keep Amanda from cart-diving or pulling Cliff out of the way of other cart-drivers. I actually considered dinner options. Then I went to check out. I was so relaxed and not in a hurry. Gosh it was wonderful.

Then I came home. I unloaded the groceries. I put them away one bag at at time. I fiddled around in between bags and scrubbed high chairs (did you know that dried rice krispies can take the paint off of a wall? lol) and did a load of dishes (not that I'm caught up) and gave Mona an aspirin for her new old-dog ailment: arthritis. I piddled around and put groceries away. I didn't have a toddler putting plastic bags over her head. I didn't have a pre-schooler standing on the bar stool holding my new etsy find over his head asking what it was. I didn't have to take 2 hours to put the food away because I had no distractions. I took some recycling out to the can. My husband will faint.

And here I am, blogging. And its only 4:44pm. I never blog during daylight hours. What a fantastic day. Beautiful weather, a clear head, pleasant company, a vaccinated child, a medicated dog, a full refrigerator...mommy bliss.

And in other news completely, just to illustrate who I am a bit. You know I had a birthday a couple weeks ago (though my 12 days of birthday celebration was a bit blurred by Mandy's terrible illness) and I'm on the cusp of Capricorn and Aquarius. I have never really been able to fully relate to my Capricorn-ness. I am the true messy artist, unorganized creative person, always late, who thrives on a bit of chaos. But I know the Cappie is in there. Because I like colored file folders. and I organize things into piles. Messy piles, but piles all the same. I like collections of things: magazines, wooden spoons. I like things that hold things: kitchen canisters, office desk organizers, rubbermaid drawers, baskets. But the stuff I put in those things is just a mess.
So this epitomizes my cusp-ness: yesterday, in what I'm sure was a fit of PMS, I felt compelled to do something with my laundry. Nothing radical like putting it away, don't be silly. No something more "Pile-y". While I have no fewer than 4 baskets of clean laundry to be put away sitting in my den (which is what I am now calling Cliff's room because we all gather in there to play, I sleep in there, its sometimes my office, its always my laundry organizing headquarters etc., and Cliff is never in there. He sleeps in the master bed with Henry and he's always in the living room. So anyway...) I felt the need to do something with the piles of laundry in my garage near the washer and dryer. Loads of laundry I will never catch up on stare at me. Sheets I hate, are more so hate to wash because I hate to fold them. Christmas linens. Clothes that I never wear - so why wash them? Towels because we have so many that I don't need to wash any yet. The spring bedspread. You get the idea. So I organized the stuff into piles. Towels. Sheets. Clothes: mine, Cliff's, misc. (yes my husband does wear clothes but he hoards his dirty laundry in his closet and my daughter's is in her room in a hamper. imagine that!!) And I got out my buffet style folding table. I put the baskets on top of, and underneath the table. So you can get into the side yard, which now houses a plethora of outdoor toys and needs to be accessible, without hiking over Mount Downey. The walk space is not only wide enough to comfortably stand and do laundry but its wide enough to pull the radio-flyer wagon through.
So there you go. I organize my dirty laundry and then leave it dirty. (I do that with dishes too) Here ends the reading of the Capricorn-Aquarius Cusp. Aren't you glad you don't live with me?

I took some pictures (not of my laundry) that I will post later. I actually had TIME to take pictures today. sigh.

i thank You God for most this amazing
day:for the leaping greenly spirits of trees
and a blue true dream of sky;and for everything
which is natural which is infinite which is yes

(i who have died am alive again today,
and this is the sun's birthday;this is the birth
day of life and love and wings:and of the gay
great happening illimitably earth)

how should tasting touching hearing seeing
breathing any-lifted from the no
of all nothing-human merely being
doubt unimaginable You?

(now the ears of my ears awake and
now the eyes of my eyes are opened)

(ee cummings)

5 comments:

  1. Just so you know, I read this a couple of days ago and I just came down from the extreme panic attack that it caused in me. I now will comment with purpose.

    You poor, poor girl. I'll be right over. Together, we will conquer your laundry hell, fold sheets or haul things to the Goodwill.

    Jenny's coming. Just hold on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I can share in Jenny's panic, I on the other hand appreciate the shopping without the "I want," or "Can I have?" I appreciate the freedom you felt this day. I thought it was articulated beautifully and exactly how I feel on the rare occasions I am anywhere without my three ankle biters. (I realize they could all be in school and that it is my choice to always have them with me...but i can complain and be overwhelmed and still stick by my decision to drown in children 24/7) You are awesome Kelly. Sorry I missed cheering for your birthday!! Happy 28th birthday my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 28th. LOL
    Oh Jenny, you and my mother are soul mates. she is constantly begging me to let her help me. but it just annoys the hell out of me when she folds everything. I swear. I know I'm sick. I can't help it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my voices actually taunted me for the rest of the day after I left that comment. It kept saying things like, "Good one, Jenny. Aren't you just the Fixer of the hour. Isn't everyone just so lucky to know you and your holy example of organization. What if we just posted a picture of the basket of clean laundry that's been sitting in the hallway for a week. Or your drawer full of jewelry that is one hunk of metal and bobbles. Shall I continue?"

    I hate that voice. She's so mean to me. I like the one that tells me my butt looks good in my Lucky Jeans (even though I know she's a liar). Or the one that tells me that I can read a book all day because I'm making myself smarter and everyone knows kids love smart moms and not moms that just pay attention to kids all day. Etc.,

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like all your voices, Jenny. I love that the verbal illustrations of my life gave you a mini panic attack. You aren't the first person close to me to experience this. LOL
    My cousin, my mom, my housekeeper...sometimes my other personality when I let her out.

    anyway, I thought your comment was sweet. and safe. you are 1 large state away so its not like I can call you and go "oh yeah totally, come over and we'll get drunk while we do laundry and mismatch the sheets and fold Henry's chonies inside out!!"
    you're all talk, sister. =P

    gawd your comment just cracked me up. just read it again.
    I'm sure your butt is fine. I'll provide you with a comparison that will make you feel really great! cuz that's what friends are for. =)

    (again, a safe offer cuz i'm not giving you any pictures of my ass to soothe your self esteem any more than you're coming over to label my spice drawer. lol)

    ReplyDelete