Saturday, December 19, 2009

Obligatory Xmas Post

I feel somewhat obligated to do a Christmas-y post. Even though I don't feel slightly Christmas-y. and that should have been a comma there instead of a period. and I'm not going back to fix it. see how I am?

anyway, I really love Christmas but this year has just been so rough, it just seems like a sort of brutal ritual. I will muster a Happy Birthday Jesus in my heart but I haven't decorated beyond the bare minimum and I don't feel bad about it at all.

so here's my stolen/borrowed Christmas post. I borrowed this from Swistle, who I think borrowed it from someone else.

Eggnog or hot chocolate? I like eggnog but its too rich now that I'm old. Even diluted with milk. Hot chocolate is good too. I'm ambivalent.

Does Santa wrap the presents or leave them open under the tree? Santa wraps ours, per our requests. Or sometimes if I have a special paper I want to use, I tell him that I'll wrap them. He laughs his jolly laugh over his cell phone and thanks me for my assistance. ;)

Colored lights on a tree or white? I usually do white. I had colored ones for a couple years. I like both. again. ambivalent. but I tend toward white.

Do you hang mistletoe? No.

When do you put your decorations up? Usually shortly after Thanksgiving. On enthusiastic years. I take that weekend after Thanksgiving and just go berzerk.

What is your favorite holiday dish? Can't say as though I have one. I like your generic turkey and ham stuff, and my mom's party potatoes recipe, which I now have but never make.

Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? sometimes we do one or 2 on Xmas Eve but mostly we do them all on xmas morning. If I did them all on Xmas Eve, I think Xmas day would feel so anti climactic and I'm not sure at all what we'd do all day. My family is scattered even though we all live in the same town. I really have always wanted to come up with some new traditions but have not been successful yet.

How do you decorate your Christmas tree? This year or on a year when I care? On a year when I care it varies. I have a theme or a color and run with it. one year it was all purple and gold. last year we had 3 mini trees: one for mandy, one for cliff, one for us. Mandys' had a pink feather boa around it as garland. Cliff's had some fun garland. and mine was all fancy. the kids' trees had ornaments that were designated for them, bought by me for them (I buy one for them each year) or ones they made, and mine has fancy ones. so what I'm saying is, it varies based on my mood, the decor of my house, or where I am in my cycle. *shrug*

Snow: love it or hate it? We don't get snow here except once a decade. Its pretty, but I detest getting around in it. I don't like how cold my ears get. I hate walking in snow when we go to the mountains or whatever. so short answer: hate it. nice to look at out the window though.

Can you ice skate? Yes I probably COULD. we have good insurance coverage.

What is your favorite holiday dessert? again, not sure I have a favorite. I make a mean cheesecake, so that's probably my favorite if I have to name one. I feel obligated to say cupcakes. but no. frosted Xmas cookies though...similar to cupcakes in the decorating vein.

What is your favorite holiday tradition? sigh. need to re-get some. life has messed mine up.

Candy canes: yum or yuck? I like them. can't say I've ever craved one or anything...

wow, that was riveting, yes?

ho ho ho.

1 comment:

  1. dear self,
    that was THE most ridiculous, lame, and boring post ever. you could have made up answers that meant more.
    can that post, you stupid cynical grouchy bitch.

    love,
    yourself

    ReplyDelete