Friday, July 27, 2012

Statements of the 70s' in music. (sounds like an essay huh??)

so I was listening to the album "Solid Gold of the 70's" this morning while I got ready.  I'd like to make a few observations about the decade in which I was born.

 the first song that caught my attention this morning was this one by Dr. Hook - Sharing the Night Together.
So you can watch the nauseating video below to hear the lyrics, or you can just read them below...
You're looking kinda lonely girl Would you like someone new to talk to Ah yeah, alright I'm feeling kinda lonely too If you don't mind can I sit down here beside you Ah yeah, alright
If I seem to come on too strong I hope that you will understand I say these things 'cause I'd like to know If you're as lonely as I am And if you mind
Sharing the night together, oh yeah Sharing the night together, oh yeah Sharing the night
We could bring in the morning girl If you want to go that far And if tomorrow finds us together right here The way we are Would you mind
Sharing the night together, oh yeah Sharing the night together, oh yeah Sharing the night
Would you like to dance with me and hold me You know I want to be holding you Ah yeah, alright 'Cause I like feeling like I do And I see in your eyes as you're likin' it, I'm likin' it too Ah yeah, alright
Like to get to know you better Is there a place where we can go Where we can be alone together And turn the lights down low And start
Sharing the night together, oh yeah Sharing the night together, oh yeah Sharing the night together Sharing the night together Sharing the night together Sharing the night together


So first of all, if some dude came over and said to me, "hey baby you look lonely" I would either punch him in the face, or tell him to fuck off.  Who are you to decide what the condition of my heart is, asshole!! Maybe I like solitude. Maybe I like drinking alone.  Did you see me crying into my beer? or my vodka cranberry? No.  You know why? Cuz I'm fine.  I'm not lonely.  So fuck you.  You idiot. 

At this juncture I would like to say that my readers can just keep their opinions about why I am still single to their damn selves.  

Anyway, really...who says that? "you look lonely. I'm lonely too."   Lonely is not hot.  Was it hot in the 70s?  Its lame.  And face it, many of us ARE lonely!!  but we just don't talk about it. As a matter of fact, when it comes up in conversations, women lecture each other about it. "you're not lonely.  you're fine. you need to learn how to be alone". fuck alone! alone sucks.  so yeah, I might be lonely. But if some dude swaggered over to me with this shit, I'd be out.  

And its not just this song of course. Its soooo many in the 70s. One of my favorite bands ever is the Carpenters.  And we all know Karen was a sad girl.  But holy jeez there are more songs about lonliness and heartbreak in their discography than Air Supply!! 


So there's that...GoodBye to Love. Then there's Yesterday Once More, Rainy Days and Mondays...and more.

The next song in my morning soundtrack was this one: All By Myself by Eric Carmen


Then a Melissa Manchester song came on. No matter what Melissa sang it was fucking sad.  Clowns and Circuses, love making, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches...Melissa could make you want to drink about that too. 



And then ...a break in the lonliness.  this one.  OMG.  my brain bled. And look, Its Tie a Yellow Ribbon...I  know,  its a classic.  I know its Tony and Dawn.  I give major points for the not depressing factor, and for the happy vibe.  But Bitch, please. This song sounds like something from The Wiggles!!!  That syrupy sing songy shallow melody makes me want to go all American Psycho.  And then Tiptoe around the bodies.  And its about a dude coming home from prison, (so he was probably lonely too). Why is that romantic? Was he falsely accused? Was he in the klink for killing a man that hurt his woman? we don't know. Chances are he was fucking lonely and knocked over a 7-11, assaulted a hooker, and then passed out in the park listening to the Carpenters and contemplating the meaning of life.  What...the...fuck.  Listen. I dare you.





I prefer the wiggles, frankly...



.
My morning routine was saved by Carly Simon, yet again.  With the ever classic and fabulous and not wimpy loooooonely...."You're so Vain".  YES!! Sing it Carly.  Don't tell that bastard you want him.  Even if he looks so hot in that apricot scarf and cockeyed hat. And of course I thought about my girl friends.  You know who you are, and you know why. :)
So I don't really know what the hell was going on with the lonliness in the 70's.  Its seriously a frowned upon thing now, is it not? To be lonely is to be weak and pathetic and needy.    I think its too deep for me to muster it now, but I know there's a deep thought there waiting to happen.   We are independent and disconnected now.  We are plugged into stuff and not each other.  We aren't supposed to be lonely because we are all connected by the internet.  And we have online dating. I mean, come on! Who can be lonely with online dating around? Right?!? That's not THE loneliest place on the planet or anything.


I will say this about the 70s'...people said what the meant in songs and in life.   There wasn't any ....Coldplay.  What the hell are any of his songs about? anyone?  We don't know.  We love him, but we don't get it.  Jason Mraz.  Beautiful stuff. But huh? You have to be in a coffee house to get it.  Goyte.  He sings about "somebody that I used to know".  and so does the girl.  But do they want each other back? Who the hell knows? Cuz they are dancing around the topic denying that they need anything. Yeah I loved you and I sold your records cuz you broke my heart and if you'd just apologize and give a shit, maybe I'd go get them from Frankie at the pawn shop but no, you're just standing there all proud and smug and irritated that I broke up with you because your depression is ruining my life.  You were lonely even when you were in my company! What the hell does that mean? I'm out, yo.  fuck your records.  Damien Rice's "Volcano".  I want you, but I shouldn't and I can't give you what you want and deserve and nothing you give me is enough either but I still want you so let's hurt each other".    Pretty much my theme song.

 
So...I guess the 70's were lonely.  The 80's were decadent and high on coke. The 90's were dark and flannel-y and wore lots of eyeliner, and somewhat angry and  the 2000's...? what are we? numb? mad? disillusioned? confused? afraid?  We won't really know until our kids have us figured out.  But in the meantime, say what you mean.  Unless you're lonely.  In which case...listen to the Carpenters, remove all sharp objects from your area, and go on a dating site.  


No comments:

Post a Comment