Tuesday, October 9, 2012

My new nirvana?

It seems to me that the public library is a fascinating place. A final frontier for manners. A quiet place of learning. A truly anachronistic entity in these times of virtual everything.
I have only recently, to my shame, introduced my children to it. How amazing it is to them. A big vaulted ceiling place FULL of books. two stories. Elevators. Computers. Kind and gentle people, a dying breed of their own, who politely tell you where you can find a book on muppet cookies or ninja dinosaurs or chakra healing. They will even take you there. And if you are 9 they will coach you thru the Dewey decimal system. (If you are 39 they will also.)

I went today only to return the kids last haul. But while in line found two books that I was instantly drawn to. And I am not drawn to books. Reading requires sitting still. This is not my forte. My forte is dirtying excessive numbers of dishes while I dance around the kitchen creating heavenly masterpieces of protein and starch.

One book is called "the other Wes Moore". It's about two boys named Wes Moore, born one year apart within a block of each other. One ends up in DC, the other in prison.

I haven't even read the book and I'm fascinated. It's about how the choices we make affect our path. And it's about how the choices we make affect our children's paths.

How close I came to making some choices that could have profoundly affected my children in negative ways. I have probably missed some that could have benefitted us all. But so far on this middle path we are ok. Just ok. Which I hope to improve soon.

So I approach the counter to do my checking in and checking out of books and it occurs to me that library people are so odd. Why? Because they are so professional and polished and precise and genteel. Some are socially a bit unpracticed. But so nice. Customer service for every bank in the country should be trained at the library.

I take out my kids' library cards. They have their own cards. What a cool thing when you're a kid. What a wondrous place is this library joint.

She scans their cards to check for outstanding books ("the backpack effect" is what I called it). "All clear!" she notes happily with an upward lilt in her voice. We share a tiny moment of victory together, me and freakishly friendly library lady, and she cheerily hands me my stack and informs me of my due dates.

I think the library makes me happy. It's like entering some other world. You leave behind the gritty horn honking email sending volume adjustable world of grumpiness and you enter this solitude of four walls that is filled with hundreds of years of words and knowledge and epiphanies and journeys and stories and pictures. It's like standing in a wrinkle of time and space.

I wonder what the other Kelly is doing?

The other cliff or Mandy?

I wonder what my journey looks like on a GPS map? I bet Dramamine is recommended. Notice the word 'drama' in there. Hmmm.

The library. My new nirvana.

2 comments:

  1. If you want to know what the other Kelly is doing you just have to call me... lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you want to know what the other Kelly is doing you just have to call me... lol!

    ReplyDelete